Controversy Surrounding The Diagnosis Of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) :
Diagnosing borderline personality disorder (BPD) is often regarded as controversial. There are several reasons for this which you can read about by clicking on the links that I provide at the bottom of this article.
The DSM V Criteria For The Diagnosis Of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) :
However, currently, borderline personality disorder is most commonly diagnosed by psychiatrists according to the criteria listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (usually referred to as DSM V and sometimes informally and, perhaps, a little disparagingly, described as ‘The Psychiatrists’ Bible).
The criteria from the DSM V for the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder (BPD) are listed below. It is important to note that, in order to be diagnosed with the disorder, the individual must suffer from AT LEAST FIVE of the symptoms listed.
1) Extreme fluctuations in emotions
2) Outbursts of explosive anger
3) Intense fear of abandonment which can lead to frantic efforts to maintain a relationship
4) Impulsive behavior
5) Self-harm (e.g. cutting skin with sharp objects, burning skin with cigarettes)
6) Unstable self-concept / weak sense of own identity
7) Chronic and profound feelings of ’emptiness’ (often leading to excessive eating/ consumption of alcohol/ illicit drug-taking etc ‘to fill the void’)
8) Dissociation (click here to read my article : Symptoms Of Dissociation – Mild And Severe)
9) Highly volatile and intense relationships
NB These symptoms must have been stable characteristics present for at least six months
Important Reasons Why Borderline Personality Disorder Diagnosis Is Considered By Many To Be Controversial :
As I pointed out in the introductory paragraph to this article, the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder (BPD) is considered by many to be controversial. In order to learn more about these controversies, you may wish to read my previously published articles relating to this which I list below. Please simply click on the titles of any of the articles you wish to read.
- Questioning The Borderline Personality Disorder Diagnosis
- Should BPD Treatment Be More Individualized?
- Diagnosing BPD In Adolescents – Why Some Clinicians Don’t Like Doing It
- Wrongly Diagnosed With BPD?
David Hosier BSc Hons; MSc; PGDE(FAHE).